BOY DIES IN FIRE

On the 27th February 1899 at 9 Esplanade, Seaford, East Sussex,
there occurred a most horrific tragedy to our Green family.
Charles Stephen Green, eldest son of Charles Green and his
wife Mary (nee Leister), sadly died after his clothes caught
alight whilst he was playing in his room and got too near to the fire.
     

His headstone, pictured right, reads.....

In loving memory of Charles Stephen Green
son of Charles and Mary Green
born April 5 1896 died February 27 1899

The inscription on the headstone continues......

Had he asked us well we know
We would say "Oh spare this blow"
Yes, with streaming eyes should pray
"Lord we love him let him stay"
Yet O love 'tis thou dost call
Thou wilt be our all in all.

 

Headstone of
Charles Stephen Green
aged 2 years 10 months

Seaford Cemetary
Seaford, East Sussex

   

 

The following are copies of newpaper cuttings reporting the above incident:-

SUSSEX DAILY NEWS & EVENING ARGUS - Friday 3rd March 1899

SAD DEATH AT SEAFORD

Mr. Herbert Sprott, Deputy Coroner for East Sussex, held an inquiry at the Urban Council Offices, Seaford, touching the death of Charles Stephen Green under distressing circumstances.

Charles Green, 9 Esplanade, Seaford, identified the body as that of his son, Charles Stephen Green, aged two years and ten months. On Monday last, about four o'clock in the afternon, witness left the deceased upstairs in his bedroom playing with ivory nuts. The little fellow was putting the nuts into a paper bag. Witness went into the lavatory, and immediately heard screams. Witness rushed into the bedroom and found the deceased alight. The flames were all round him, and reached to the top of his head. Witness smothered the deceased in bedclothes, put the flames out and then put him to bed and send for medical aid. Deceased did not fall into the fire. When witness went into the room he was leaving the fireplace and running towards the bed.

Charles Berkley Gervis, medical practicioner, Seaford, said on Monday last, about 4.30, he was called to 9 Esplanade and saw deceased, who was suffering from extensive burns on the face and chest, and on both arms and legs. Witness attended to them. He called again the same day at 6.30 and found the child suffering from shock, and much worse. He did not think the child would live. Witness was informed subsequently that the child died at 11.30 the same night. The cause of death was syncope from exhaustion due to shock.

The father, recalled, said it was four o'clock when it happened. The doctor came about 4.30. A verdict of "accidental death" was returned.

 

SUSSEX EXPRESS & SUSSEX AGRICULTURAL EXPRESS - Saturday 4th March 1899

SAD FATALITY

A fatal accident occurred at Seaford on Monday, by which the eldest child, aged three years, of Mr. Charles Green, 9 Esplanade, lost his life. It is stated that the child was near the fire when its clothes caught fire, and it was quickly enveloped in flames, and was so severely injured that it died the same evening.

Copyright 2001 - A Martin

All Rights Reserved